Location & Description
Adventure WILD Summer Day Camp is based at the Mazama Mountaineering Center (MMC), located on the corner of SE Stark and SE 43rd in Portland, Oregon. There is a parking lot and ample street parking available for drop-off and pick-up. From there, we’ll explore the outdoors, learning about urban nature and the vibrant life in the beautiful greenspaces around us, including the 26-acre Laurelhurst Park and the 196-acre Mount Tabor Park for older participants. Each themed week includes components in nature, science, and art, tailored to the ages and interests of that week’s participants. Plus, every camp week includes a full-day trip to the Mazama Lodge on Mount Hood and rock climbing at our Mazama Mountaineering Center. Select camps for older participants include an overnight at the Mazama Lodge on Mount Hood at the end of the week.
Adventure WILD Summer Day Camp serves children ages 4-10. Children must be at least 4 years old, based on their age at the start of the camp week.
The Mazama Lodge, built in 1960, is a beautiful wooden lodge nestled on US Forest Service Land between Timberline Lodge and Government Camp on Mount Hood. Thanks to the careful stewardship of Mazama members, the Mazama Lodge remains a functional and beautiful campsite which welcomes thousands of visitors each year, from summer camps to wedding parties to Mazama instructional programs.
Mail: Adventure WILD Day Camp
527 SE 43rd Avenue
Portland, OR 97215
NEW FOR SUMMER 2019!
Overnights! Back by popular demand, all camp weeks now include an overnight option at the Mazama Lodge for campers ages 8-10. Overnight campers will have 2 days and one night on Mount Hood at the end of the week to explore and make memories to last a lifetime.
We’re growing! We asked past Adventure WILD families last year what they wanted more of, and two things stood out. The first was “More!” We’re excited to bring that to you by offering an increased number of sessions, increasing our capacity on select weeks, and offering school-year programs. Check out Winter and Spring opportunities below!
Extended care! The second thing that stood out from past Adventure WILD families was a desire for before and after care. We’re pleased to offer before and after care now for all of our summer camp sessions. Before care ($10/day) begins at 7:30am daily, after care ($8/day) ends at 6:00pm.
Regular camp programming:
9:00am-5:00pm. Drop-off begins at 8:45am daily.
7:30-9:00am daily: $10/day
5:00-6:00pm daily: $8/day
Please note that any campers that have not been signed out by 5:10pm daily will be signed into after care, and parent/guardian will be charged accordingly.
Day camp only (ages 4-10), except week 4: $325
Week 4 day camp only (ages 4-10, includes full-day field trip to Kelley Point Park): $340
Day camp + Thursday overnight (ages 8-10), except week 4: $375
Week 4 day camp + Thursday overnight (ages 8-10, includes full-day field trip to Kelley Point Park): $390
Lunches and Snacks
Please make sure to pack a lunch each day for your camper. Morning and afternoon snacks will be provided. If your child has dietary restrictions, please pack two additional snacks daily and share dietary information when registering your child. Please note that we are not an allergen-free camp.
Lost and Found
Lost and found items will be held until the end of the summer. The lost and found bin will be available each day at pick-up and drop-off. If an item is lost while your child is at Adventure WILD Camp, please contact 971-808-2267. Items not claimed by Labor Day will be donated.
- Registration begins January 15th, 2019 and is open until filled or the Friday prior to the week of camp.
- Each session has limited space and is closed when filled. A waiting list is kept for each session.
- If you are unable to register online, please contact our Adventure WILD office at the Mazama Mountaineering Center (email@example.com, 503-227-2345).
- We reserve the right to refuse enrollment to anyone or dismiss without refund any student for behavioral issues.
- Summer programs operate rain or shine. Children should dress accordingly.
- Any accompanying aides for special needs campers will require a background check by Adventure WILD.
Cancellations & Refunds
- Adventure WILD reserves the right to cancel or combine classes that are below the minimum participant requirement. Should cancellations occur, our staff will contact the participant’s family about alternative classes.
- Prior to June 1st, 2019: Cancellations for summer camp made prior to June 1st will result in a $50 cancellation fee, with the remainder refunded.
- After June 1st, 2019: Cancellations for summer camp made after June 1st receive no refund, with the following exceptions:
- Short-term illness or injury: If a short-term illness or injury prevents the camper from attending the scheduled camp, the client may reschedule another camp, during the same summer season only, for a transfer fee of $35 (unless the new camp is of a greater value), provided that the desired camp has available space.
- Long-term illness or injury:
- Cancellations made after June 1 due to long-term illness/injury must be accompanied by a doctor’s note for a $50 cancellation fee.
- A doctor’s note must be received before a refund will be issued.
- Before and after care cancellations for summer camp made prior to June 1st, 2019 will receive a full refund. After June 1st, before and after care cancellations will receive no refund.
- Cancellations made for Winter WILD Days prior to two weeks before the start date of the camp will result in a $10 cancellation fee, with the remainder refunded.
- Cancellations made for Adventure WILD Spring Break Camp prior to two weeks before the start date of the camp will result in a $50 cancellation fee, with the remainder refunded.
Summer Camp Session Transfers
After June 1st, 2018 a summer camp transfer fee of $35 will be assessed for each summer camp session change. No Camp Transfers are allowed within two weeks from the start date of either camp session (except in the case of illness or injury documented by a doctor’s note).
Please contact the Camp Manager at 971-808-2267 if your camper will be absent. There will be no make-up classes for any summer camp programs. Absences will not be refunded unless the entire enrollment is cancelled before the session has begun.
Before and After Care and Late Pick-Up
Campers that are not enrolled in before care may not be signed in until 8:45am. All campers that have not been signed out by 5:10pm daily will be signed into after care, and parent/guardian will be charged accordingly. Parents/guardians of campers that have not been signed out by 6:00pm daily will be charged $2 per minute for late pick-up.
About the Mazamas
The Mazamas, founded in 1894 on the summit of Mt. Hood, is a nonprofit mountaineering education organization. Mazamas offers over 700 hikes and 350 climbs annually. Mazamas’ mission is to promote mountaineering through education, climbing, hiking, fellowship, safety, and the protection of mountain environments. Every love for mountaineering is borne out of a love for the outdoors, which can only be shaped by positive experiences and understanding of the outdoors. The mission depends on getting children outside and exploring, but they recognize that the urgency extends far beyond the Mazamas, with the need to engage all children in formative outdoor experiences.
In 2012, Mazamas partnered with Friends of Outdoor School to further our shared goals of providing meaningful, educational outdoor experiences to youth in the Portland metro area. Adventure WILD Summer Day Camp is an exciting and evolving result of our shared goals.